Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Myth, legend and fact

Those of you who know my legendary ability to make rain come to where I am vacationing (especially those of you who have travelled with me: Shelly - San Francisco; Regan - the Arizona desert; Nate - Ottawa just this September) will not be surprised to learn that in the 17 days I have been in Australia, I have seen a total of 7 hours of sunshine. So to the first myth: drought in Australia. It's not happening. I believe Australians have perpetrated this myth just to gain unwarranted sympathy, and besides, no one in North America ever sees any Australian news so who's gonna verify it anyway. Myth-buster: there is no drought. I've never seen a country this green. Everywhere from east coast to Sydney to Alice Springs to Darwin. A freakin' Garden of Eden.

But now to legend. I can and do make it rain. This is a fact and it makes the Australians very happy apparently. Everywhere I go people are celebrating because it is raining. I'm very popular. And so to mythology.

I have pondered my supernatural abilities in the area of weather. At first I denied it, even to myself, but now I feel the evidence is indisputable. So I can come to accept it, and I trust you all will too, the truth seems self-evident: I am ..... a goddess.

2 comments:

Regs said...

You should start getting people to pay you to come visit their drought stricken countries. Free vacations!

dave said...

Okay then, you are OFF my golf partner list, I don't like to play in the rain. This does explain that tournament we missed last fall!