Wednesday, January 30, 2008

60 degrees of separation

The first week in Australia has been all about two things:

  • the fabulous hospitality of Joyce and Chris, Gene and Jo
  • the terrible weather back home in Calgary

As to the first, any of you who know Joyce and Chris know that they have made the comfort and happiness of others to be one of their main purposes in life. They go out of their way always to share goodness and to help others out. Generosity and thoughtfulness are their ways of life. So to say I have been welcomed and well taken care of would be an understatement.

The farm (Valleyview) is beautiful - green like I have never seen it before. Lush, tropical, verdant. It is humid - I've been really tired just from moving through the heavy, moist air (at sea level). Sometimes I feel like I'm going in slow motion. It was a real pleasure on Wednesday to lay on the beach or paddle in the water and enjoy the sea breeze. I needed that!

To the second matter, Calgary's weather, I'm thinking maybe hell finally froze over. The brutal cold unleashed a bevy of worry for Regan who is house-sitting for me. The pipes in the house froze, she has been without hot water, and now as things begin to thaw she is dealing with leaks, plumbers, mop-ups and has missed classes to try to manage the ongoing disaster in the house. I am so sorry, Regs, that you are having to deal with this. I truly hope the weather warms up soon and that there are no more situations that take you away from your work and studies. Thanks Travis for helping out!

2 comments:

Travis Dolynny said...

I'm glad the pipe problem has been resolved! It could have been so much worse if we got a leak in the ceiling or if Regs wasn't home when it sprang it's leak.

I think it might be a good idea to put some insulation on the foundation wall under the stairs (where your wine rests) as that was one of the places the frozen pipes lived (both hot and cold). I will pick something up when I have time.

What's that picture of the spider all about?

Regs said...

Oh no problem. It's just been a little more ... exciting than I'm used to.